One of my favorite tools in the kitchen is my griddle pan. It works like an in-house BBQ and adds lots of flavor to meat, fish, bread and vegetables.
Did you know that grilling vegetables is a great way to prepare them? I use peppers (all colors), eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, pumpkin, tomatoes, onion, you name it. Toss them with a quick dressing of extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, a little black pepper & salt and dig in.
One day, I had some leftover okra and decided to give that a go on the griddle pan. It turned out delicious! Because you only grill it for a few minutes it stays really fresh and crunchy. So many people are afraid of this – perceived slimy – vegetable, but it is so versatile if prepared in the right way, I think we should give it another chance.
This grilled version is as easy as it gets. Sprinkle with some good quality extra virgin olive oil and some coarse (sea) salt and you’re done. It makes a great snack on its own, can be served as a side dish with grilled meat or fish, or added to a salad of grilled veggies.
So no excuses, please, it is a must try!Print
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 250g fresh okra, washed and sliced in half lengthways
- 1 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
- a sprinkle of coarse (sea) salt
- extra: a griddle pan (or BBQ)
- Heat your griddle pan for 5 minutes. Do not put any oil on the pan or it will become a smoky affair. Put your sliced okras on the griddle, cut side down. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the beautiful grill-marks appear. Turn and grill for another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Put the okras in a nice bowl and dress with the olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Serve immediately.