- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 1 kilo fresh pumpkin, unpeeled and quartered (about 6 cups cubed)
- 2 tablespoons/30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1/3 cup/80ml heavy cream
- 1 cup/20g sage leaves
- 80g prosciutto
- 400g spaghetti
- pepper & salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat the oven to 350F/175C. Mix the pumpkin, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the garlic and 1 sprig of rosemary on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until the pumpkin is soft, about 40-50 minutes. Let cool.
- Discard the rosemary and peel the pumpkin. Roughly chop and add to the bowl of a food processor, together with the roasted garlic. Add the cream and process until smooth. Season with pepper and salt to taste and transfer to a clean bowl.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the prosciutto and fry until crisp. Drain on kitchen-towel then do the same with the sage and remaining rosemary.
- Meanwhile, fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and add the spaghetti. Stir and cook until al dente, according to the package instructions.
- Remove the spaghetti from the pan with a pair of thongs and mix directly into the pumpkin mash. Stir until the pasta is well coated with pumpkin.
- Reserve a handful of sage leaves, 4 nice pieces of prosciutto and the rosemary. Crumble the remaining sage and prosciutto on top of the pasta and mix wel. Add the red pepper flakes and season to taste.
- Divide the pasta over 4 plates. Top with the reserved sage, prosciutto, rosemary, and some grated parmesan. Sprinkle with a little good quality extra virgin olive oil and some freshly ground black pepper.