Even if you are not the lucky owner of an ice cream maker, this is a great method for making ice cream at home. By processing the ice cream in a food processor after freezing it the first time, you break the ice crystals that would make the ice cream crunchy rather than smooth. For this recipe you don’t even need to make a custard. Make the base, freeze, chop and enjoy!
Papaya Yoghurt Ice Cream
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 1kg ripe papaya, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 400g sugar
- 150ml fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 600ml Greek (or thick) yoghurt
- mint sprigs and fresh papaya, for serving
- Place the papaya, sugar, lime juice and zest in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add the yoghurt and process until combined. Pour into a container and freeze for 3-4 hours or until frozen. Remove from the freezer and chop into 3cm cubes. Place back in the food processor and process, in batches, until smooth. Put back into the container and freeze for another 2 hours or until frozen.
- Scoop small balls out of the remaining papaya with a melon scoop. Serve the ice cream with the papaya balls and some fresh mint sprigs.