Did you know that I have my own column in Support, a local magazine about healthy living? Every edition, I pick a Caribbean ingredient as the star of my article about easy and healthy recipes with a modern-Caribbean twist. The last edition of Support hit the shelves this week and contains my article about bananas.
However, not all of you live on Curacao or know how to read Dutch. So for those fans living abroad (yes, for all 3 of you 🙂 ), I want to share the recipe from Support for delicious banana bread. It’s a great way to use up old bananas, if you happen to have any. I hope you enjoy it!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-10
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 75g/1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 200g/1 cup sugar
- 1.5 cup very ripe bananas (about 3 or 4 bananas), mashed with a fork
- 3 eggs
- 125ml/1/2 cup buttermilk
- 250g/ 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150g/1 cup mixed nuts, roughly chopped (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts etc.)
- Extra: buttered cake tin
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/175C.
- Put the butter and sugar in the bowl of a (standing) mixer and whisk for 1 minute. Add the banana and whisk in the eggs one by one, until you have a smooth batter. Add the buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and nuts. Fold the flour mixture into the banana batter until just combined. Don’t over stir, it’s ok if the batter remains a little lumpy.
- Put the batter in the cake tin and bake in the middle of the oven until browned, about 45 minutes. Test if the bread is done by inserting a bamboo skewer in the middle. If it comes out clean the bread is done. If a little batter sticks to the skewer, put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes, or until done.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, remove the bread from the tin and let cool completely. To serve, cut the bread into thick slices.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days or freeze.