- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Cook Time: 4 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 34 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 250g salted cod, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 200g self-rising flour
- 250ml/1 cup cold water
- 1/2 (50g) red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup/40g sweet potato, grated
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons spring onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1 Scotch Bonnet chili, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Extra: vegetable oil for frying
- Cook the soaked cod in boiling water for 20 minutes, or until flaky and tender. Drain and flake the flesh.
- Heat the oil to 375F/180C. Combine the flour and water in a bowl and stir to make a thick past. Add the salt cod, onion, potato, herbs, garlic, chili and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Working in batches, drop tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the fritters are crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oil and let drain on kitchen-towel. Serve immediately.