We have posted a recipe for sweet potato chips before, but now we have found an even better and easier way to make them!
This recipe was given to us by our event chef Willemijn, who was kind enough to share it with us. It actually comes from a Belgian chef she used to work for, when she was studying in Antwerp. So even the Belgians are using sweet potato!
Now that we know what the secret is, we are of course happy to share it with you. There are 3 important things actually:
1. Always use sunflower oil for frying, because it will prevent the potatoes from browning too much.
2. Keep your oil at a steady low temperature of 300F/150C
3. Continually stir the chips around in the oil, to ensure even frying.
Follow these guidelines and you will end up with these bright orange, deliciously crunchy sweet potato chips. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Chips
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 400g sweet potato, scrubbed clean (skin on)
- sunflower oil for frying
- (chili) salt
- Heat the oil to 300F. Slice the sweet potato on a mandoline into 0.5mm slices. Fry the potato slices in batches in the warm oil for 3.5 minutes, or until the sizzling stops. Don’t forget to stir the potatoes continuously while frying! Take out the chips and let them crisp on some kitchen towel for a few minutes. Sprinkle with (chili) salt. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.