Only recently it was time for my food-design intern Carlo to head back to Holland. I let him go reluctantly, and not only because he made me the best cappuccino’s every morning. Before he left I made him give me the recipe of his secret Caribbean Nacho’s. Made with fresh corn tortilla’s and a refreshing mango salsa on top, you easily turn this somewhat dull classic into the perfect sunset snack. Must be served together with a bucket of ice-cold beer, says Carlo. I agree.
PS. If you haven’t watched my video on how to easily clean a mango, please make sure you do before you start making the mango salsa. You’ll be eating those nacho’s much faster!Print
Caribbean Nacho’s with Mango Salsa
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- For the Meat Topping
- 500g ground beef
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- For the Mango Salsa
- 1 cup/300g fresh mango, finely diced
- 1/2 cup/150g avocado, finely diced
- 1/3 cup/75g tomato, finely diced
- 1/3 cup/40g red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño (30g), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- A pinch of salt & pepper
- 12 fresh corn tortilla’s (or 150g store-bought tortilla chips)
- 1 1/2 cup/150g cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup/125ml sour cream
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- When using fresh corn tortilla’s, heat the vegetable oil to 350F/175C. Slice each tortilla in 6 wedges. When the oil is hot, fry the wedges for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Set aside.
- Mix the ground beef with the garlic and spices. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat, add the ground beef and fry until the meat is just done, about 8-10 minutes. While frying, use a fork to separate the meat.
- Heat the oven to 350F/175C. Mix all the ingredients for the mango salsa in a bowl and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Spread the tortilla chips out on a baking sheet and top with the fried beef. Sprinkle the cheddar on top and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese has just melted.
- Carefully transfer the tortilla chips and toppings to a serving bowl. Spoon over the mango salsa and sour cream. Serve with some tabasco on the side.