I discovered a really cool thing when in Trinidad: the Cocoa Ball. It is made from cocoa beans, flavored with different spices like nutmeg, cloves and bay leaf, and shaped like a cocoa pod. You grate it into hot milk, add some sugar and you have a delicious spiced-up hot chocolate. Great idea!
It inspired me to spice up my own hot chocolate a little, which suddenly seemed quite plain and boring. I hope you like the recipe!
PS. Did you know that there is a difference between cacao and cocoa?Print
Spiced-up Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1
- 250ml milk
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch each of chili powder, nutmeg, cayenne and ground cloves
- Bring the milk to the boil over medium heat. Combine the remaining ingredients in a glass or coffee mug. Add a little of the heated milk and stir well until no lumps remain. Continue stirring while you add the remaining milk. Taste and feel free to adjust the spices according to your liking. Serve or drink immediately.
- Tip: serve with a cinnamon stick instead of a teaspoon for a special touch.