I am a big fan of the lionfish. There are so many different things you can do with this fish. And the taste is lovely, almost similar to the fancy sole. The more we eat them the better, because these invaders pose a huge threat to our underwater world.
So let’s get cooking! Starting with these delicious lionfish burgers.
- 750g lionfish filet, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 leaves of Boston lettuce, washed
- 150ml tartar sauce, see recipe below
- 10 salad buns, halved
- butter, for frying
- pepper & salt
- Season the lionfish, divide into 10 equal portions and kneed into small patties. Brown the butter in a frying pan and bake the lionfish, in batches, until browned on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side. Place a salad leave on each bun bottom, put on a fish burger and top with a tablespoon tartar sauce and some sliced onion. Top with the other bun half. Serve immediately.
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- juice of 1 lemon
- 0.5 cup dill pickles, finely chopped
- 0.25 cup spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons capers, chopped
- salt & pepper
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients. Season to taste.